Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire, the latest flick making waves, deserves every bit of praise it seems to be accumulating with every passing second.

The last time I saw such superlative performances and meticulous direction, was in 'The Dark Knight'. Not to forget, Rahman's music. Do I need to even say anything about a man who just lets his music speak for him. I personally didn't think that the music was awesome, but come on folks, I think so because when you compare Rahman, you compare him against himself. The westerners aren't used to this wide range of instrumentation (not a music expert but just my take) and probably thats why they are finding it awesome. For me, I think its fantastic but not his best.

The story is the life of 2 brothers, Jamal and Salim depicted in three distinct phases. Each phase is enacted by 3 set of actors and my personal vote goes for the first phase. The kids were amazing and not at all loud. They were precisely what they should have been - kids.

Jamal goes on to win a game show and every question in the show unfolds his life for the audience. A life which has probably seen every single human emotion. And these everyday emotions (as Pratik pointed) is what appeals the most.

Watch the movie folks and if you have the patience wait for the theatrical release on 23rd Jan. I am sure you will enjoy every moment.

No comments: