Thursday, February 20, 2014

Standing up....for oneself

Rachna had come down to spend the summer vacations with me. We were 11 year old girls looking forward to spend some great time together. On one particular evening we were busy playing when my uncle came to visit us out of the blue. Since my parents were not back from work he decided to wait for them. Rachna has always been a quick thinker and she said "Uncle must be tired and hungry. He has directly come to our house from his office. Let’s make some dosas for him". "Yes", I croaked, as I wondered how she could always think the right things at the right time. I was no good at making dosa and I soon realized that neither was she. Her dosas could be put up for a display of "geometrical-shapes-of-dosa-batter-on-pan". I never knew there were so many shapes. I was also worried of the reaction from my uncle. But she continued enthusiastically without any apprehensions whatsoever.  She offered it to my uncle who gave it one look and retorted "Is this the way you make dosa?”  I turned to look at her and I saw how disappointed she had become after all the enthusiasm. I was unhappy too because I knew the thoughts that went behind those out-of-shape dosas.

And to my surprise my uncle continued - "Can you make some more of these? I am really hungry". Before I could say anything my quick thinker cousin blurted out - "The batter is over so that’s all that we can do". I gaped at her as she pulled me away to another room leaving the elderly uncle flabbergasted. I realized she was fuming red.

When my mom came, my uncle obviously complained about my rude cousin and my mother gave her an earful about being polite to elders. She haughtily retorted "Even elders should learn to be appreciative of an eleven year old making dosa and not be snooty"

I almost clapped. My mom probably got a gist of her thought process and left it at that. And I forever remember my first lesson in being able to stand up for oneself.

2 comments:

Pappul said...

Wow! And you thought of posting this 20 years later? What made you? :)

Prameela said...

@Pappul
Didn't blog during those days you see ;)