Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What an idea Madamji ;)

Sometimes an idea is so ridiculously simple, yet its taken an eternity to implement it. Two such things that always had me perplexed saw the light of the day in the past few weeks :)

1) Security code for a credit card:
When i started using a credt card, the first thing that came to my mind was - Why isnt there a security code that I choose and no one else knows about? I mean a credit card is used at so many places, especially for online transactions. Everything they ask you to furnish is readily available on the card. So anyone who has your card can do a transaction with/out your consent. So the obvious thought is why not have a code that you select and is nowhere on the card. If you share it with anyone you know what you are getting into! Very simple idea but I think quite effective.

Yeah, if you have seen the latest directive from RBI every credit card now should have a security code associated with it. No transactions without it.Period.

2) Changing the mobile pulse to seconds:How many times have you fretted over finishing the last call at 2:01 minutes? You are left wondering that for a second more why do i pay for the whole pulse of 1 minute? Today with cheaper rates its no big deal but still I know we all crib at a few extra seconds on the pulse. I had always thought why not bill per second or atleast change the pulse frame to a lower window say 5 seconds per pulse?

And now, Tata Docomo is advertising that it plans to do just that.


Maybe there were valid reasons for these two ideas to not take shape earlir. If anyone knows about it drop a comment. As of now let me feel happy that I had some practically viable ideas boiling inside my head ;)


2 comments:

Pappul said...

1). All credit cards (past or present) have had the option of providing security code ... its upto the user to decide if we want that or not ... most credit card providers do not inform the user about this ... I dont know why ... but security codes have always been present ...

2). You can change the pulse for any service provider ... you just need to visit them :P ... it follows the same logic ... the service provider will not come to you and tell you that you can change the pulse ... its you who will have to go and ask him to do it ... what Docomo is advertising is basically telling people ... I CAN CHANGE YOUR PULSE ... nothing else ...

Prameela said...

kya re pratik.....you made me fall flat to the ground....you should have let me fly for a few days more ;)
Anyways, seriously i knew neither of this and surprisingly when i had contacted my credit card dept tey had no idea either